One of the projects I had on my list was to make a set of ferrule station cutters. I wanted ones that were big enough to hand hold as I had some scary moments with some cutters that were fixed in the tailstock. I figured I could make them okay but I was intimidated with the prospect of heat treating them. I made up the cutters in 01 tool steel 3/4" dia. by 1". I found some fire bricks for $1.50 ea and using six of them I made a little cave and blasted them with the torch I used for flaming. It took about 3 minutes but I got the head bright red, quenched them in oil (they caught on fire) and them tempered them. I ran a file over them and it would not make a mark so it looks like I am good to go. I sharpened one and will do the rest tomorrow. Have a look, they should work great. They were shiny when I started and now they are "Hock blade blue" they look stealthty!
I am a cane rod builder and co-founder of Canadian Cane